Model: Presario C700 Series Laptops
Operating System: Windows 2000 (Note: might work with other versions of this os.)
Audio (Conexant chipset) Driver for Windows XP 32/64-bit
You might also have to use the Microsoft High Definition UAA Bus Driver Hotfix (703 KB.) [before installing this driver]: http://driveragent.com/files/kb888111xpsp2.exe
1) Download the sp36090.exe driver:
2) Run sp36090.exe
3) The application might say "Driver Installation Failed: Could not find Media..." Ignore this message.
4) Open ControlPanel->System->[Hardware Tab]->DeviceManager
5) Under the 'System Devices' category, verify you have the Microsoft UAA driver. Then look for the unrecognized audio driver, which will be marked with a yellow question and/or exclamation mark.
6) Right-click and choose 'Update Driver', choose 'No, not this time', then 'Install from a list or specific location'
7) Then choose "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install", then "Sound, video and game controllers"
8) Click "Have Disk" and then browse to C:SP36090XP32 (XP64, if you are running 64-bit). This is where the driver was extracted to.
9) This will install the Conexant High Definition Audio driver.
10) After the driver is installed, you may have to restart the laptop.